Apr 28, 2003

I just read this update on a story which actually happened in my neighborhood. The avenue adjacent to where I live is so dangerous, I can't believe a 10 year old has to be killed before the city decides to do something about controlling the speed and traffic on it.
I was very relieved last summer when a light got put up on my corner. Unfortunatelly, Astoria has always been a neighborhood where the kids drive like maniacs and feel because daddy keeps them in brand new cars, they don't have to respect traffic laws or speed limits. And it only got worse after they closed Shore Drive at the Astoria Park. That was the place where everyone hanged out, and raced along the long strip by the river. Now they race up and down Ditmars Blvd. like there's no tomorrow.
This morning I happened to go by the corner where the kid was killed and it made me very sad to think that his mother has to walk by and probably stands at that exact place every day. The spot is adjacent to the bus stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment