Mar 10, 2003

What a long day, I've been up since 5:30am because Joseph had to get up early to go to work. I felt so bad when he left because he didn't have a heavy coat here since it was 50 degrees when he came yesterday. This morning it was 19 degrees when we got up, brrrr. Poor thing, he had his fall jacket and no gloves. Just another bright, sunny, bone chilling day in NYC.

I want to go to the library and do a little research on human anatomy. Actually I just want to refresh my memory. I thought about this last night when Joseph and I were watching a show on the History Channel about the finding of the ossuary that is believed to contain the bones of James, Jesus' brother. About 10-15 minutes into the show, the narrator was explaining what an ossuary is. An ossuary is a container where the bones of the deceased were placed a year after the burrial; this was an ancient practice. Well during his description, the narrator gave the dimensions of the ossuary and went on to say that it only measures 20" in length in order to accomodate the tibia which, he said, he believed is the longest bone in the body. When I heard this I thought I heard wrong and asked Joseph to repeat what the narrator had just said. I did not hear wrong. I asked Joseph, how could they make a mistake like that, because the longest bone in the body is the femur, I remember learning that in the 5th or 6th grade. Joseph wasn't sure, so we got on line to find out. And yes, the femur is the longest and strongest bone in the body. Hummm... After this I didn't want to watch the show; if a mistake like that doesn't get cought before the show is aired, I wonder about the credibility of some of the more obscure facts presented. I feel good that I'm educated enough to catch mistakes like that, and that left me thinking about the human anatomy. When I go back to the library to return "Madame Bovary" I'll brush up on some more of my anatomy.

I feel so smart :)

No comments:

Post a Comment