Jun 5, 2003

Brooklyn-Queens Day
I know I get New Yorkers coming by every other day via nyc bloggers. Can any of you tell me what exactly is Brooklyn-Queens Day? Why do kids have the day off from school? What is it that is suppossed to be celebrated and how does it relate to schools being closed? J told me it's a union holiday (UFT), but I don't get it. Kids have enough days off during the school year, do they need to "celebrate" B-Q Day? Why do we complain about the low levels of education in this city, yet make up crazy holidays like today?

Please don't tell me about how teachers are deserving of their union holidays, they work very hard during the school year, take their work home with them, are available for tutoring, for after school programs.... bla,bla,bla. I know all these things and I appreciate those who embark in the business of educating the young. But the thing is, these are the requirements of this particular job. I know it's not a 9-5 job, and it's certainly not stress free, but when someone decides on a career in education, they are well aware of its demands. I have nothing against teachers, just against the level of education in this city.

Here's something: I found out earlier this week that next September the first three days of school are being assigned to teacher training, leaving the kids to start school three days late. However, those three missed days are not being added to the school year anywhere. WHY??? Didn't they just add something like 20 minutes to each school day in an effort to better our children's education? Why are they having three days removed now? Here's an idea: next year let's do away with stupid holidays like Brooklyn-Queens Day and give those days back to the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment