Jun 24, 2011

Same-sex Marriage bill approved tonight 

Finally, NY state became the 6th state in the Union to approve a same-sex marriage bill. It was signed into law by Governor Andrew Cuomo just before midnight and it will go into full effect in 30 days.

As a New Yorker, I am so proud of this huge step forward that the senate took tonight. I've been following this closely for a while now and have been waiting all week for the bill to go to the floor for vote. And tonight, when I got a news alert that it would, I got very excited and frantically searched every news outlet on my iPhone for live coverage. Once I got home turned to NY1 and watched the last 4 senators speak their vote.

Once the bill was officially passed by a vote of 33-29, I was so excited!! I really felt like celebrating. Although I am not gay, this vote means a lot to me. As a human being, as a woman and as an immigrant, I believe in every one's right to be equal. As a New Yorker, I believe in tolerance and acceptance; I have the hope that NY State will continue to be a leader in raising social consciousness and bringing change to our country.

My wish tonight is for presidential support in the same-sex marriage issue and as an American, I hope that one day we and generations to come will look back and know that this was the right, the logical, the only way to go. Much like today we look back at the civil rights movement or women's lib.

And wouldn't you know it.... this is Gay Pride week. How perfect. 

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment